It's a fine line, sticking to your trading rules vs. taking a risk. There are several outside influences that can have an impact on your "split second" decision making process... especially when you have money on the line. Influences like trading with scared money, lack of focus, and Covestor... to name a few.
I'll explain, as it applies to me, how each of the above affects my daily trading...
Trading with scared money - I first heard these words while listening to a radio interview (found HERE) that Muddy did. And I've written about this topic on several occasions too. These words are invaluable... especially to new traders with small accounts. NOTE: I insist that you do yourself a favor (if you're a newbie) and listen to this interview. Second, as I'm sure many can relate... a large percentage of us trade with small accounts (ie: less than $25,000) which causes all kinds of muckus!
One example is determining if a trade is going to turn a profit or cause a loss, after you've taken a position. Obviously you want to know this before enter any stock, however this ain't the movies! What if you get stuck in a situation where, what looks like a (huge) loss is actually a wicked profit!? Well if you do two things - go against your rules (cutting losses) and of course have some friggin patients, you could be driving a brand new Ferrari! This and much more could be yours if your sanity (and small account) can stand it! Confused? Me too!!
I've entered DHI several times over the past couple of days... with a mental (profitable) exit in mind... however because I'm taking large positions (relative to my account size) I'm suddenly trading with scared money, which is causing me to exit these plays within cents of when the mofo starts to gain steam (long or short)! It's frustrating as all hell and expensive, but a great overall learning experience.
The obvious thing to do is take smaller positions... remember my baseball analogy post (here)... yeah, nuff said.
Lack of focus - This speaks for itself, but I know many can relate. My trading is sloppy, at least by my own expectation. I think it's related to my lack of experience. Now, when I trade sloppy due to lack of focus, this is a whole new ballgame...that's plain sabatoge (think Beastie Boys)! Like when you "long" shares of a stock that you really wanted to "short"... this can and has been costly for me, on several occasions.
When you trade, FOCUS is absolutely essential. If you can't focus entirely while trading you probably shouldn't be trading. Of course there are always exceptions to this; common sense applies here.
Covestor - I support the transparency aspect of what Covestor offers (obviously), because I know when I start doing well, I don't want to be questioned if or how I earned it... for that reason it's great. But where I stand in the ranking means b0-diddly to me... (or does it?). After each trading day the first thing that comes into my mind is how that day's trading will affect my Covestor ranking and my chart, which everyone "gauges", how I'm doing. What I should be doing is reflecting on my trades (good and bad) and looking for new plays... ah, there's that damn ego again!
So with this stuff in mind, the question remains - when do you stick to your rules vs. taking a risk when trading with a small account that you're so "desperately" trying increase? Obvious answer for some I'm sure.
Anyhow, my new resistance point is $8k... I've been over it twice... and hovered about $60 away from it quite a bit, but have yet to break, hold, and create support... so as always we shall see...
PS - I'm working on my day-trading-baseball-statistical-design... I'll try and have a rough draft by weeks end (Friday).
3 comments:
Hey BFM,
I'm at school right now, so I can't listen to Muddy's interview, but I disagree with your statement that traders can't trade with "scared money." I recently opened my trading account, and quite frankly, if I hadn't played with scared money, I'd be down 20+% (instead I'm exactly even through 2 months).
The philosophy that traders can't play with scared money leads to occasional catastrophic losses (such as you experienced recently) and "rock and a hard place" situations (such as your current HSNI trade).
I believe Tim Sykes said it best (probably back 8-10 months ago), "If a stock isn't acting exactly as you think it should be, get out. Your trading capital is your most valuable asset." Especially for college students like me, who don't have an additional $5k to put in their accounts, playing with scared money is absolutely necessary.
Just my 2 cents,
wnkEnder
I still stand by what I say about scared money..Matt, you aren't trading for a living and ever being down 20% over any period is unacceptable to me...just trying to get even you will never make it as a fulltime trader,so if trading scared gets you there then so be it...maybe that's not your goal,,,but for many it is.
There's a big difference between hobby and eating.
Tim has the luxury now of NOT having to trade for a living so following him you can look forward to trading with scared money.
If you know you are good,scared money is the last thing that should be on your mind.
Muddy, I think you misunderstood parts of my post. I am not a good trader (at all) and, because I know this, I try to play with scared money. Being down 20% would be horrible for me, but I believe I'm miles ahead of where I was 2 months ago (when I made my first trade with the same account size).
What I'm trying to say is that trading scared is absolutely necessary for noob traders (like Tim is trying to preach), whereas experienced traders are allowed more leeway to stick with imperfect positions because they are more confident in the eventual outcome of the trade. The important part is that traders must know and be honest with themselves.
In conclusion, I agree with your last sentence, but I do not meet your the qualifier "If you know you are good..."
Thanks Muddy and BFM, you're two of my biggest influences
Sincerely,
wnkEnder
Post a Comment